RE: [TCML] Terry Filter Resistors

For those coming into this thread late, it began with someone asking if a TO-247 cased non-inductive resistor was suitable for use in a Terry filter.  Then someone suggested that Terry had specifically chosen the wire-wound units for the inductance that they exhibit.  I said that the inductance was not a factor in choosing the wire-wound units; only their voltage stand-off and power rating (and rough value) was important.

I had also done a good deal of MicroSim circuit simulation to compare R-C, L-C, and R-L-C low pass filter behavior when shock-excited with a spark gap.  I remember finding that the R-L-C circuits would still exhibit a significant, damped resonance at their natural frequency, unless the R value was considerably higher than 1K, so much that it would be excessively lossy.  So the waveform seen at the NST side was ultimately cleaner if a simple R-C circuit was used, with no inductance.  At the time I assumed that the inductance of wire-wound resistors truly was negligible, so I ignored it.  But if it really is in the multi-mH region, perhaps a second look is warranted.

There was a different thread several months ago where the practice of using just a choke to each transformer HV bushing was defended as a means of keeping HV transients from damaging the transformer.  But I think when bypass caps are added to create a 2-pole low-pass circuit, it changes everything, and the addition of inductance is not a desirable thing.  I maintain that a simple 1-pole R-C circuit is very capable of performing the required filtering.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA