Re: [TCML] ARSG Materials continued

Hey Andrew...

I didnt get to see your plans for your disc.... but I do have a question or few..

Are you using the Aluminum ring for mainly conductive reasons or is the ring going to support the majority of the forces of the electrodes? And how thick will the aluminum be??

1/4" tungsten rods plus mounting hardware can produce quite a bit of force once spun up to operating speeds ( and the forces increase with disc diameter!)

As far as Aluminum vs. Copper in the conductive capacity, Al. is about 35-40% less conductive per volume as compared to copper ( seems to make sence since it is about that much less dense than copper). Another thing to think about is the natural tendency of Al. to form an oxide on its surface that is pretty much insulative to a degree, but then again at 10KV+ that oxide wont last long anyway.

If you are looking for premium preformance from your coil, then premium materials should be considered...

Scot D

Andrew Robinson wrote:

Ok... thanks for all your replies... but now I have conflicting opinions. One says yay Al and another says boo Al. Can you guys show some supporting data so I can make the final decision on which material to use. FYI in case you didnt look at our engineering diagrams, the Al will only be used for the conducting ring and electrode supports. The actual electrode electrodes are .25" tungsten. Look at the diagrams and note the materials at the bottom of the designs. Thanks, Andrew