Re: [TCML] Secondary Wire splice technique, gear reducer 4 sale

One word of caution regarding sources.

There is a lot of magnet wire floating around on E-Bay, and some at
attractive prices.  A lot of this wire is factory seconds that have been
rejected for a variety of reasons --- small nicks, insulation thinness in
one area, failed hi-pot test, sometimes hidden splices or solder joints
hidden deep down in the rail which usually surfaces when your coil is about
75% wound, etc.

If you are on a tight budget, and building a smaller or medium size coil, or
a first "starter" coil, then, yes this is probably a good alternative.

If you are building a large coil, as Tyler is doing, then you may wish to
consider only a high quality factory tested double build magnet wire.  Fay
is one distributor that I use all the time for my commercial coil winding
materials.  The handle American Wire, Daburn, Essex, and other high quality
companies with excellent quality.

It takes a bit of time to prep and wind a large coil, then insulate it with
4-5 final coats.

Having one fail isn't much fun, so consider all options before grabbing the
best buy on E-Bay.  I can say from experience I have had a lot of problems
with their IGBTs and now only use new ones.

Dr. Resonance