Re: [TCML] Variac question

Hey Rob...

selecting a variac depends upon what your present and future amperage demands will be... If you only plan on small amperage demands, than a 7 amp variac will suffice. If you have a need for more amperage capacity, than something in the range of 15 amps will be good untill you need something with more "beef" behind it. You have a choice, buy variacs in incremental units as you go through your learning process, or, just bite the bullet and purchase that 1256D now and dont worry ever again ( untill you go to piggie power) about burning out a variac... eventually you will need a variac that can handle 25-30 amps... ask me how I know.. ;)

Scot D

Rob Byron wrote:

Hi all,
I am looking to purchase my first Variac for low powered tesla coils (not pole pigs) and other experiments that would requires voltage control. I know nothing about how to pick the right one for my porpose and would like some suggestions from the list. I would like one of the "desk top models" would any modle like this work? Your input on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much! Rob from Canada.