Re: [TCML] charging reactors

Ed Phillips wrote:
So, if one needed to build or buy a dozen charging inductors for a resonant charged spark gap coil, where would one look..

It's for an application where there's multiple coils being charged from a common HV DC bus.

Probably need 5-10 H, and it needs to handle a few hundred mA to amp (e.g. 10kW @ 10kV is an amp), and, of course, have a 10-20kV voltage rating.

I'm looking for ideas that are either off-the-shelf or made from off the shelf things (e.g. no scrounging a half dozen MOTs and then sawing an air gap and rewinding it)

(or, some other clever scheme to charge the primary tanks of multiple coils)

Jim"

That's a mighty big assignment! Those things will be expensive if you can find them at all.................

Well.. I've seen some websites with TCs where folks wound several hundred turns of wire on a Ferrite U core of some sort or another. I suppose one could find the bare cores for MOT's for instance. (or a cheap source for the transformers new, and just saw off the windings you don't need..)

Just casting about for ideas.. And expensive is a relative term.... $50 each wouldn't be unreasonable.