RE: [TCML] Dr. Resonance inductors

Hi Jim,

I ran the online air core inductor calculator for 12" diameter 12" long.
Here's the output for a 1H choke and #24 wire:

Turns=2190
Turns per layer= 563.4
Number of layers=3.89
Outer diameter=12.17 (reasonable)
Wire Length=6916 Feet

Lets try a 24" long x 12 diameter:

Turns=2852
Per layer=1126
# of layers=2.53
Outer dia=12.13
Length=8985ft
DC ohms=231

Hmm,, lets up the diameter to 18" @ 12" long

Turns=1574
/layer=563
Outer dia=18.13
Length=7434ft
191 ohm dc

That still will make a big Marx generator! The geometry would probably want
to be more like 24" long so it could be angled up. 10 stages would be
probably be >20feet high.

This seems reasonable I guess for a DC charging inductor if the layers are
covered in Kapton tape over hanging the ends and it is polyamide or equiv
insulated magnet wire. I tried designing this before and failed. This seems
doable! Back to Richie's site!!

BTW, I have come up with a very cool water resistor I'll share on a separate
post.
Jim Mora