From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gaps (again)
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 00:42:45 -0600

Hi Dex,

It's a bit more complex than this, since the dynamic "resistance" of a
firing spark gap is a function of current flow. With RF arcs, the higher
the peak current, the lower the average arc "resistance". It's been
found experimentally that a firing gap actually behaves much like a
bidirectional Zener diode that has a typical voltage drop in the range
of 100-200 volts. This is relatively constant for a given gap spacing
and electrode system.

Stacking a series of identical gap increases gap conduction losses
proportionally, since instantaneous power loss is the primary current
times the (increasing) sum of gap voltage drops. However, smaller gaps
lose heat more quickly through axial heat transfer from the plasma
channel to the electrodes, especially when electrodes are made from
nonrefractory metals with excellent thermal conductivity such as copper.
The close proximity of cool electrodes quickly removes heat from the
gaps, allowing them to recover their dielectric strength more quickly
after a current zero.

By using gases with low molecular mass (such as hydrogen), many small
gaps, and massive copper electrodes, the result is a "quenching gap".
This technique was well known back in the days of spark radio. It can
achieve first notch quenching, generating a clean ringup, quench, and
extended secondary ringing decay, but this is at the expense of
comparatively high gap losses.

Bert