[TCML] Mystery vey old "tranasformer"

Hi All,

I recently made a run to San Diego to pick up a pig and a plate transformer.
Our benevolent seller asked me to take a couple of other heavy iron things.
One turns out to be a large HV filter choke. The other one is interesting!
It is an Osborn and states 480V in 240 out with three legs. Ok that seems
normal until you pull the cover off the old crinkle finish box.

A mind shift is in order now. The three windings are wound donuts wrapped
around a horizontal collective iron core. Weird huh? But wait; there are
only two wires on each coil. This is very old. Anyone know what this is?
I'll shoot a picture or two when I free it from the case which will take
some socket to fit a square nut on an extension. Ya gotta love
scrounging:-)) It weighs in near 100 lbs- lots of copper too.

Jim Mora