From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of BunnyKiller
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 6:54 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tuning a coil PLEASE HELP

Hey Andrew,

Instead of trying to use a setup that is that "precise" try using JavaTC
and get the info to get a very good ballpark number of your system
first. From there you can make the system better "tuned" instead of
trying to match "numbers" that change once the system is turned on and
running.

Its kind of like trying to tweak a carburator on a car with the engine
not running.....

Once you put power to the coil, You will still need to move the primary
tap around untill you find the best spot...
And if you havent run your coil yet, dont expect it to work the first
time...  Mr. Murphy loves coils!!

but to help you understand what you are looking for with the generator
and meter/scope,
the secondary has its own specific frequency, and if you put a signal
into that coil, it will try to resonate with that signal in some of the
"phases" ( harmonics).
As the input signal becomes matched to the natural frequency of the
coil, the "energy" is reflected back down the coil thus producing an
increase in the power ( amplitude/height) of the sinewave. An increase
of frequency increases the "narrowness" of the reading on the scope,
readjust the settings to widen the sinewave.

When the signal is not at resonance with the coil, the output reading
will be less than the input signal. Once the signal matches the coils
frequency you will see an increase in amplitude/voltage on the scope.
Use JavaTC to find the ballpark frequency of your secondary first...
False readings can occur if you find a harmonic value ( 1/2 1/4 1/6 etc.
of the real frequency)

And finally, Tesla coils are kind of like a radio transmitter but the
general attempt is to produce a single frequency and not modulate that
output ( unless you are into the musical end of T Coiling)

Scot D