Re: [TCML] Does Patent 500,630 predate Tesla's coil?

miles waldron wrote:
I don't know but it certainly looks about right, and it has a magnetic
quench on the gap.  I wonder who E. Thompson is?

Elihu Thomson? Very capable engineer, contemporary of Tesla and Edison. Did stuff with X-rays, electrical distribution. I think he was chief engineer of GE for a while. Has zillions of patents, and is probably one of the pioneers of "building a patent portfolio" as a business method. I think he invented, or at least, made practical, the watt-hour meter, which was necessary for the electrical distribution industry to exist.