RE: [TCML] Newbie

Hi Andrew,

We all in the US can get Cornell Dubiliers caps for mmc's .15uf metalized
film which seem to be the most popular or their foil film one which have
slightly high capacitance.
Work a deal with someone and pay the shipping to New Zealand (what about
customs?). Tesla Down Under in Australia (Dr. Peter Terran) may be able to
help you. We have endless discussions about current control. One of the more
unique ideas was using 2 or 3 inch 50.8,76.2mm , plastic pipe coating the
inside with oil for a release agent and stuffing it full of Florist wire
which is already painted green generally (The pipe should be long enough to
have a couple of inches to spare).

The coating and small diameters dramatically reduce Eddie currents, losses,
and heat. Put some kind of puller in the wire, cap one end of the pipe-
stuff it with the wire, stand it on the capped end and fill it with epoxy.
Wrap the pipe with #6 awg or #4 AWG insulated wire and voila'. Some one else
may be able to give you an idea of the number of turns for 4KVA-5KVA control
( I am assuming 240V, are you 50 or 60Hz?).

You simply pull out the core to reach you desired current. There are many,
many other ways to do this. I like satuable reactors.

Regards,

Jim Mora
Happy Spring Time and Good Sparks!