RE: [TCML] newer tesla coil parts (split Terry filter resistors)

Hi DC,

Yes, I agree that the safety gaps appear to be redundant if one also uses the prescribed number of MOV's.  However, even with a proper Terry filter using a properly set mid-point grounded safety gap, I still see these gaps fire on rare occasions following a primary strike or SRSG misfire.

The MOV's are great because they keep us honest.  Short of disconnecting them, one can't open them up just a bit more.  But they are relatively fragile and won't endure a continued overvoltage for long before they fail (fortunately in the shorted state).  The ball gaps cost nothing, take up no significant real estate, and just look nice. I see no reason to suggest elimination them.  If we were all perfectly honest and meticulous in setting the safety gaps, I think the MOV's could be eliminated, but human nature being what it is, would not suggest this.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA