From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of John Forcina
Sent: Thu 11/12/2009 3:50 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Help with high school Tesla coil

>From those pictures of the driver it looks to be based off one of steve
ward's early drsstc driver designs.  I found this one here
http://stevehv.4hv.org/DRSSTC1/DRSSTC1OCDsch.JPG matches yours pretty
nicely.  However the coil you have does not have the over current protection
circuitry part of that schematic.  Basically in simple terms, the "BPS"
control on the remote control controls how many times per second the coil
turns on and off so lets say you have it set for 400BPS then the coil is
actually turning on and off 400 times per second.  The "On-time" also known
as duty cycle controls how long the coil is operating within your BPS
control.  For example if you are operating ast 400bps with a 200us On-time
then the coil will turn on for 200us 400 times per second.  I would set the
On-time knob as low as possible (for now at least).