Re: Re: [TCML] Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs

Dex, Steve & all-

Dex's comment about a big toroid reminds me of another of my conjectures: Suppose you took a large metal sphere e.g. a big "gazing ball" and set it atop the toroid--the ball exhibiting a significantly larger minimum-radius than the toroid. Before breakout from the toroid occurred, the ball would store a considerable amount of additional charge, which would then flow into the spark at breakout. Would that serve to extend the spark-length?

KCH

Dex Dexter wrote:
Steve, SGTCs can achive spark 4X the secondary winding lenght,
but one needs so big torroid that it dwarfs secondary winding,
and very high BPS.

I think R.Hull's Nemessis coil is a good example.

Dex
--- steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Some small coils have produced spark
lengths exceeding 5X the secondary winding length, my best has been about 4X
getting 45" sparks from an 11" tall secondary winding.  This is something
ive never seen with a SGTC, usually racing sparks would just destroy the
secondary if you attempted to cram that much power into one.

Steve