RE: [TCML] Ignition coil etc

I have run an ignition coil, and got some nice sparks, by hooking it to 4 lantern batteries and a relay - thus its completely portable, no need for 120/140v AC wall outlet.  I built it based on the plans available here  http://primeline-america.com/science/    - shame that he advertizes it as a 'tesla coil' when we know an ignition coil is oil filled, not truly an 'air-core' transformer.  But the plans are described nicely along with the shopping list, diagrams are easy to follow.

Someone has posted plans for an ignition coil driven tesla coil  http://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_tesla_coil.htm   has anyone ever tried this?  Any thoughts on its efficiency/practicalness for TC design?   Unhooking from the wall socket is the big plus I see here.   If run out in a field, all the usual grounding in place, then no worries about it backfiring into your home wiring in the wall.

heck, maybe even rig one up to the top of your car and drive around on Halloween Night, portable lightning show!

Brian Hall