Re: [TCML] looking for a nice tank capacitor...problems...

Mike -

Before going out and blindly buying more capacitors, why not try to find out why your current capacitors are "blowing up"?

(Incidentally, I think it's very unlikely that any Chinese-made capacitors you may purchase on eBay are truly "rated for Tesla coil duty", regardless of what the seller may claim.)

First, can you reiterate your coil's design specifications:
1. What are the voltage and current ratings of your NST?

2. Are you using a variac to run the NST at greater than nameplate input voltage?

3. What are the specific details of your MMC:
a) Value and voltage ratings of the individual capacitors, and if all the capacitors in your MMC are identical;
 b) Number of series-connected capacitors per string;
 c) Number of parallel strings used;
 d) Peak current rating of capacitors.

4. What type of spark gap are you using, and what is the total gap spacing you were using when the cap "blew up"?

5. What was the coil doing just prior to the capacitor failure?

6. How did the capacitor fail (what did you see)? Did smoke come out? Did the case split open? Did you see internal arcing? Etc, etc.

All this information will help find out why your capacitor failed, and how to prevent repeat failures with remaining capacitors in your MMC, or with additional capacitors you may add to the system.

Regards,
Herr Zapp

----- Original Message ----- From: "mike osipowicz" <yosip1115@xxxxxxxxxxx>