Re: [TCML] SSTC Coupling

Hi Greg,

Warrington's and Blackburn's formulas are useful for estimating the steady-state resistance of low-frequency, point-to-point power line arcs. For these, the path is heavily ionized all along the path, current is the same throughout the entire length of a single arc channel, and space charges play virtually no role. These formulas may have limited usefulness for high-current toroid-to-ground arcs where peak currents may reach 10's or 100's of amps.

The branching leader structure of Tesla coil air discharges is quite different. Because these discharges are branched, you get current splitting amongst branches. The lower current branches also become progressively narrower, cooler, and more resistive as you move outward from root of the discharge. This process continues as you continue towards along progressively finer branches. Eventually the very character of the discharges change from arc-like to lower temperature streamer and corona-like discharges at the tips. Because the fractal-like structure of the TC discharges is considerably different than a single channel arc, a more accurate approach might be a distributed RC model with progressively higher resistance along subsequent branches.

It's also not clear that the measured terminal characteristics of a CW SSTC discharge can be directly ported to higher (peak) power discharges from a SGTC or DRSTTC.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins, shrunk by ultrastrong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning (Lichtenberg figure) sculptures, and scarce

Greg Morris wrote:
Have you guys ever heard of the Warrington formula? Rw = k/I^n * L, where n
and k are empirical constants, approximately 1.4 and 28688.5 resp. (for use
with meters, not feet).

Anyhow, I revised my circuit, and this is the result:
http://picasaweb.google.com/GBMorris/Tesla#5397805754928737186 It seems
correct to my knowledge, but the results are a bit disappointing. If
Tilbury's circuits are all wrong, where did he get them from and why did he
use them?

Cheers,
Greg