Re: [TCML] My first tesla coil

Hi all,

Obviously these results pale in comparison to some others and to your results, but this video represents some results I achieved last night which are spectacular compared to the previous days and toploads.    First here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoUesr9L3cg

And still pics (to show the setup really - the stills don't capture what the video did):

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/ncc1701_photos/tech/my_tesla_coil_hemisphere_sphere_01.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/ncc1701_photos/tech/my_tesla_coil_hemisphere_sphere_02.jpg

I'd love to hear your explanation of what happened here?

The main part of the topload is a toroid protruding from undernearth a hemisphere (an 11 inch diameter plastic lampshade covered in aluminum foil, except for the zenith section of it.   On top of the unaluminized part on top, I just rested the 5.5 inch globe unattached through any metal to the top of the hemisphere.      What I find fastinating is the constant arc that develops between the sphere and the hemisphere apparently through the top.  But I cannot tell if it is energy building up in the sphere which comes back down into the hemisphere, or vice-versa.     Anyway it seems to be key to the power of this setup.   Later I put some aluminum foil tape to connect where the sphere sits to the hemisphere and while the result was good, it was not as "spectactular" as the result with the ball not connected to the hemisphere.  (Also it partually melted the plastic where that constant arc occured so I won't want to repeat that unless I can use
 something else that can withstand the arc.)  Anyway I don't know if the sphere is building up energy and then discharging it back into the hemisphere or what?   You can see in the video it  it starts out with about two fairly constant streamers from the toroid underside, then the arc starts up, and finally the sphere starts up a streamer of its own, and at one point the toroid/hemisphere section goes quiet, and the sphere goes into what I think is a SNAKE - really nice!!!      Also, because I ran it a long time, I also shut the unit off and back on twice during the video to re-set it, and see the results.   (Not that it really needed to be shut off the unit seems to run very well.)

Love to hear your input on what it is we are seeing there???

Thank you,
Peter