From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Peter Terren
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 6:22 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Lacquer

Firstly, the experiment with the conventional coil is not conclusive,
sorry.  Power was "about 20%" in the pre shot with racing sparks. No
mention of actual values for the post shot and the sparks look very
different on the pics.
I am not saying the result is wrong, but it is highly likely the
original power level was not reproduced.

Secondly, DRSSTC's are different beasts in terms of coupling.  Obtaining

better Watt's ratios (spark length/sec length) seems a lot easier. 13:4
= 3.25 does not seem remarkably efficient in this regard.
On the other hand using an SGTC coil with no special insulation, I have
Watt's ratios of 3.0 (96inches/32in).  Others have claimed larger ratios

for SGTC's but I have not seen clear photos to show this.  If you want
to follow this link copy and paste it into your browser.
http://tesladownunder.com/tesla_coil_sparks.htm#6 inch coil (the best
ones)

Nevertheless, the previous discussion of using ?Envirotex as a very
thick layer does really seem to provide a lot of protection.
Some years ago I started a TC project to dramatically outperform this
3.0 Watts number. A lot of special fabrication was done and I still have

everything ready to start some final plans and construction. One day
when I have a few moments........

Peter

http://www.drspark.org/fatboy1_rebuild.htm