Colors and more.....Re: [TCML] Would a Tesla coil work in a vaccum?

If I'm getting too far off topic...

Its a good idea to be careful in trusting/interpreting
any instrument, including eyes and cameras.  The point
about differing spectral sensitivities is quite apt.

Perceived Color depends on a number of things: pressure,
chemistry, and, signifiantly, here, level of excitation.
If the electron gets kicked Way High, its return may not
be the textbook spectral line.  (I don't manufacture,
but i do do a bit of fireworks: getting clean spectral
colors is decidedly tricky.  Notably if the 'energy input'
is too hihg, colours get washed out...)

I would expect lack of gravity to have sero effect on
Tesla Coil operation.  (OK: hot arcs no longer rise:
Jacob's Ladder won't rise... but thats not coiling...
8)>>)

I (at least) was assuming a 'hard' vacuum.  There is a
whole class of vacuum insulated power switchgear, more
or less competitive with SF6.  A hard vacuum would seem
to reduce sparking/flashover.  The engineering of such
a system is non trivial.

As to ignition coils: Tesla built iron core resonant
HV transformers.  Yes, its common to use air core for
pure HV work: saves trying to insulate the core.
While oits common to describe (older) caps in older
ignition systems as 'to protect the points', i wonder
what a bit of scoping would show.  I shan't debate the
point further: perhaps worth pondering...

best

New dwp:     dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx