Re: [TCML] Would a Tesla coil work in a vaccum?

Brian,

I'd still call it an air cored transformer as long as it was being used at
atmospheric pressure. If you put it in a vacuum, it could then be called a
vacuum cored transformer. However, the Tesla coils we all build could never
be  successfully operated in a high enough vacuum because the necessary
degree of  vacuum could never be reached. The common materials we use would
continually  outgas and spoil the required vacuum, even if actively pumped.
This  would cause ionization of the residual gases around the primary and
secondary, which is exactly what we don't want.

In theory, it would probably work, but...impractical and better to just
pressurize or replace the air with Sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) to suppress
flashover.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 4/17/2010 11:24:58 P.M. Central  Daylight Time,