From: "bunnikillr" <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 6:42:59 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [TCML] Inductor design program?

Hey John...

I was basing the current/wire size on the maximum current I want going
to the piggie. So lets say I had a non limited transformer i needed to
ballast to 20 amps, I would then use a #10 or #12 wire. I would still
wind on the 1 turn per volt to start with. I also would be more apt to
adjust the gap between the EI cores to fine tune the amperage draw.

It may be a bit scarey, but you can test the inductor for its full
amperage limiting by using it as a load on an A/C circuit. Along with an
amp meter and a variac, you can find the "current" curve of the inductor
as you ramp up the voltage. Most of the inductors I have made seem to
be pretty linear in their responce untill saturation of the core
occurs. At that point ( saturation) the current climb seems more
exponential

If you dont want to adjust the EI core gap and keep the core solid, the
next step would be to start removing winds 1 or 2 at a time untill you
reach the current you are looking for. IIRC, as you remove winds, the
current begins to increase.....

Scot D