Re: [TCML] Inductor design program?

Hi

See:
http://deanostoybox.com/projects/ballast/
Sorry the page is not done, only graphs there. Lots of projects, nothing ever
gets done.

First up is a V /I plot for the "rough and ready ballast" which consists of two
MOT primaries on a single MOT core, primaries in series. The non-linearity in
the curves is due to core saturation.

Next is a V/I plot for a 15/30 NST with the secondaries shorted compared to the
"rough and ready" ballast using both one and two primaries at 120V (0-130).
Note the linearity of the ballast is better than the NST when both primaries are
in series keeping the core out of saturation. (more turns/volt)

Next is a saturation curve for the 3.5 square inch MOT core used in the
experiment.

Next is a saturation curve for the "double wide" MOT core (two identical cores
combined into a single wider one) with 7 square inch core area.

These curves were done with ten turns of #10 AWG THHN. Current is vertical,
voltage horizontal. From this it can be seen how many turns per volt are needed
to stay out of core saturation. The curve starts to turn up at 16V, (double wide
core) so I need 1.6 turns/volt to keep the ballast linear.  For operation at
240V that is 384 turns, more or less.

The next graph is the V/I plot for the finished "double wide core" ballast made
from two identical MOT cores and wound with #11 AWG 200 C magnet wire. Forgive
me, I did this last July and do not remember how many turns I was able to stuff
into the winding window (not enough), but just enough to keep linearity up to
240V, saturation starts there. It is still more linear than a NST, so serves my
purpose.

The last graph is just a plot of the inductive reactance vs gap thickness
(plastic spacers, mostly thin sheets of GPO3) but you need to use your
imagination to "smooth" the curve between the points. GNU Plot or whatever
application I used to make the graphs seemed to lack a "smoothing" feature.

Hope this helps some.

later
deano