From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of G Hunter
Sent: 29 April 2010 02:10
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tank Circuit Design

It matters.  I suggest you place the spark gap in parallel with the power
supply, and the tank capacitor in series.  In this way, the spark gap can
pull double duty as a voltage limiter.  This is especially critical for
tesla coils based on neon sign transformers, as NSTs are relatively fragile
and are easily ruined by HV transients.

For a more detailed explanation with supporting data, please see the TCML
archive.

Cheers,

Greg