Re: [TCML] Primary Support Materials

Hi Brandon,

I used a wooden base and simply cut to proper length
8 pieces of gray plastic (electrical grade) 2" PVC pipe
and drilled a line of evenly spaced (appr. 1/2" spacing)
holes down the length of each piece. Then I fastened
each of the 8 PVC pipe lengths in an even radial pattern
around the base of the secondary coil and proceeded
to tie down the primary copper tubing to the PVC pri-
mary supports via "zip-ties", using the pre-drilled holes
to wrap the zip-ties around to secure the copper tubing
to the surface of the PVC supports. Works like a champ
with my 10 kVA pole pig driven, 8 ft. tall "Green Monster"
Tesla coil in the very humid (and HOT in the summer!)
conditions of Memphis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3pfStBx2qY&feature=search

Here's a close-up image of my primary coil arrangement
to give a better idea of my above description:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33464569@N05/3718223376/

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brandon Hendershot" <brandonhendershot@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:23 PM
Subject: [TCML] Primary Support Materials

Hi Everyone,
I was intending to make my primary coil supports out of some scrap corian counter-topping pieces, but it seems it would be cheaper to use different material than to continue using this and buy glue and blades to keep working with it. Anyway, I'd like to know what all you guys/gals are using, and/or have used to make your coil supports. Is plexiglass easy to work with? I know wood shouldn't be used... Again, what do you suggest from experience? ...HDPE??...
Thanks,
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx