Re: [TCML] DC charging reactor

Hi Ibrahim, I have built several DC Tesla coils using neon sign transformers with SSGs but I have used a full wave rectifier followed by a filter capacitor. For a charring reactor I have often used the secondary of another neon sing transformer. These Tesla coils tend to have a very high break rate and produce shorter but more flame like sparks. They are awesome and well worth building if you can find all the parts you need to build one.

Roger
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ibrahim Khaleel" <xbox1900@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 10:55 AM
Subject: [TCML] DC charging reactor

Hello every one!

Am planning to build my first DC TC of 20 kW throughput. Am using 15 kV / 30 mA NST. Any info in this regard is most appreciated, especially in how to calculate the resonance charging reactor. Is it possible to use a half wave rectifier to charge the tank cap ( am using SSG)?. Would the BPS rate be @ 50 in this case, since the voltage appears only half-cyclic (10 msec.), providing I employ a d-Q-ing diode?

Thanks in advance for advising.

Regards