Re: [TCML] Flashover Follow

Gary,

I disagree with your disagreement ;-)

I think bang rate can matter for voltage stress on the secondary coil.  But
its a secondary effect...  The issue as far as i can tell is that low bang
rates allow a longer time for the air to cool down in the streamer channel,
which tends to allow the secondary voltage to peak higher than it would at
higher BPS, where a hot streamer channel tends to load down the top voltage
considerably more.  With all my experience with solid state coils (which
have very repeatable bang energy when desired), its the *lowest* pulse rates
that often cause the worst problems with secondary to primary flash-over.
But, it seems to require pulse rates lower than 100hz or so, at which point
the streamers take on a different appearance as well (more "fluttery").

Now, i have never experienced "racing" sparks on a solid state coil, so
really my argument is only somewhat related by the observation that lower
pulse rates appeared to put higher voltage stress on the secondary coil.
Its a lot of speculation, but i figured it was worth chiming in on the
subject with my experiences.

Steve