[TCML] Tesla Coil detector

I realize this might be somewhat off-topic, but still felt it might of of interest to some.

I built this circuit, which is supposed to be a neon bulb beta/gamma detector.

Overview
http://electronicdesign.com/article/test-and-measurement/simple-geiger-detector-uses-neon-glow-lamp1634.aspx

Schematic
http://archive.electronicdesign.com/files/29/1634/figure_01.gif

But thus far all it can detect is my Tesla Coil.   The neon bulb detector circuit is designed so you can power the neon bulb just up to and just before it "ignites" or lights up that is.  As such the neon bulb is "on-edge" for any ionizing particles or radiation to turn on the light.    The circuit is also designed to quench the light so it can continue detecting.

What I found is with the unit 8-10 feet from the TC (in this case a 12kV 60mA unit firing 30-35" sparks) the neon detector is actively flashing on and off and on.   If I put a double layer of metal screen in front of the neon bulb, it dimishes the activity to a good degree (the mesh able to stop a certain amount of EM, but cannot stop particles).    Meanwhile a second neon bulb connected to nothing at all, does not light at all during the procedure.

I still want to test it with the TC running but detuned so it is not emitting sparks, and see if the neon bulb detector alters behavior, and also increase distance to much further away.

So this seems to be a somewhat useful high energy detector, or perhaps it is indeed detecting electrons (beta particles) from the TC.   Comments on what is being detected?

Peter