Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil detector

> I realize this might be somewhat off-topic, but still felt it might of of
> interest to some.
>
> I built this circuit, which is supposed to be a neon bulb beta/gamma
> detector.
    among other things....

> Overview
> http://electronicdesign.com/article/test-and-measurement/simple-geiger-detector-uses-neon-glow-lamp1634.aspx
>
> Schematic
> http://archive.electronicdesign.com/files/29/1634/figure_01.gif
>
> But thus far all it can detect is my Tesla Coil.   The neon bulb detector
> circuit is designed so you can power the neon bulb just up to and just
> before it "ignites" or lights up that is.  As such the neon bulb is
> "on-edge" for any ionizing particles or radiation to turn on the light.
   Or any stray source of energy.  Like the RF From the
   Tesla Coil.

> The circuit is also designed to quench the light so it can continue
> detecting.

> What I found is with the unit 8-10 feet from the TC (in this case a 12kV
> 60mA unit firing 30-35" sparks) the neon detector is actively flashing on
> and off and on.   If I put a double layer of metal screen in front of the
> neon bulb, it diminishes the activity to a good degree (the mesh able to
> stop a certain amount of EM, but cannot stop particles).
    To stop RF with a 'screen': screen needs to _completely_
    surround the  detector, AND have no wires thru the screen.
    (Hint: I used to get paid to do RFI control and qualification.)

    The '8-10 feet' of air will stop particles nicely.

> Meanwhile a second neon bulb connected to nothing at all, does not
> light at all during the procedure.
    The second detector is not 'biased' almost to turn on...

> I still want to test it with the TC running but detuned so it is not
> emitting sparks, and see if the neon bulb detector alters behavior, and
> also increase distance to much further away.

> So this seems to be a somewhat useful high energy detector, or perhaps it
> is indeed detecting electrons (beta particles) from the TC.   Comments on
> what is being detected?
    As above:
      'High' Voltage EM Fields.

    One intriguing test would be to try the detector with
    HV 'static' source (is a cat handy?  Suitable plastic rubbed
    with fabric?

    best
     dwp