Re: [TCML] Bleeding resistors for MMC

Design the bleeders on a per-capacitor basis.  Each capacitor should
have its own bleeder.

If you are arranging your MMC as 3 parallel sets of 8 series
capacitors, each capacitor will see 1kV RMS (if you're not sizing for
mains resonance).  Then a 10 Mohm resistor will dissipate 0.1 watt
(P=V^2/R), and will discharge the capacitor to a safe voltage in 3
seconds (1kV discharges to 50V in 3 time constants, t=3*R*C)

You could also use 2M resistors (0.5 watts, 0.6 seconds), or 20M
resistors (0.05 watts, 6 seconds), or ...

Be sure that the resistor will withstand the voltage, as well as being
able to dissipate the heat.  You should either
1. Find resistors that are rated for 1kV
2. Put two smaller resistors in series for each capacitor
or
3. Use them beyond their voltage rating and hope they don't arc over.

Henry

--
Henry Hallam

Sent from my Laptop