RE: [TCML] Controlling Speed of an AC (Muffin) Fan

AC induction motors like what's in the fan you cite really are not really supposed to be speed-controlled.  It may work to some degree, but I doubt it will work well.  But for the purpose of blowing on an RQ gap, I don't think one needs to control the speed.  I don't think there's a critical sweet spot in air flow; anything above some reasonable flow rate is all you need and it won't improve things to have more.  Just apply full power to it.

I mentioned using a lamp dimmer with my sucker gap.  The vacuum cleaner motor used in this gap is called a "universal" AC/DC motor, not an induction motor, and its speed is easily controlled with a dimmer.  And, that gap needs only a fraction of the full-speed airflow that motor is capable of, and full-speed operation is VERY noisy, and I just don't want that noise and that much power being used.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA