Re: [TCML] Controlling Speed of an AC (Muffin) Fan

Great idea Jon, I'll have to try it with mine. Thanks.

On Feb 28, 2010, at 3:42 PM, "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Lau, Gary wrote:
No.  The thing about a sucker gap is that the arc is concentrated in
a small ring, and it was easy to plumb and focus the airflow from the
vac motor directly through that channel.  An RQ gap is typically
inside a cylinder, and it would be difficult to focus that airflow
where it is needed.  Plus, I believe that one of the advantages of
the sucker gap is the fact that there's only a single spark gap with
abundant airflow - things not true about an RQ gap.

I put a tangential fan from a microwave on the RQ I built many moons ago. I blocked off the inside of the copper tubes, and the center, so that the airflow was directed through the gaps between the copper pipes.

It did have an effect (improvement) on the performance of the gap, but it wasn't a huge improvement. It was noticeable, though.

Jon