Re: [TCML] measuring current going through a MOT to be used as ballast

Thomas,

You need a clamp-on ammeter for a temporary measurement, or a current transformer and a matching panel ammeter for a more permanent installation.

Harborfreight.com and eBay have relatively inexpensive clamp-on ammeters.

eBay is a good source for current transformers. Most industrial current transformers convert their rated input current to 5 amps AC output. Most matching industrial current meters show a full scale reading for 5 amps AC input. If you buy a 200:5 amp current transformer, it will output 5 amps when 200 amps are flowing through the center of the "donut". If you have a meter scaled for 200 amps full scale, then it will indicate the current in your primary circuit.

Watch out for older industrial ammeters that have nonlinear scales or compressed scales. They are less useful for your sort of application. Also beware of special purpose current transformers solely for high frequency use (usually tiny, as in quarter or nickel size), or CTs that have unspecified output.

For your Tesla use, a 50:5 or 100:5 CT would probably be entirely sufficient. If you can't find precisely that value, you can multiply the sensitivity of a current transformer by running the primary wire through the core more than once. E. G., if you have a 100:5 amp CT, and run the primary through the center hole twice, it will read 50 amps full scale. If you run the wire through 4 times, it will show full scale at 25 amps.

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/64-301-Square-D-Current-Transformer-300-5-Ratio-600VAC_W0QQitemZ380193191712

is a 300:5 current transformer

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIEMENS-600-AC-AMPERES-AMP-AMMETER-METER_W0QQitemZ270427435495

is a nice, inexpensive linear scale 600 amp full scale ammeter.

If you run your primary wire through the CT 5 times, it will output 5 amps for 60 amps in the primary circuit. Mentally insert a decimal point in the scale readings in the meter so it is reading 60.0 amps full scale, and you are in business. (no connection to any of the sellers).

If you intend to use the current measuring setup for a running TC, then it is best to avoid electronic meters as they give erratic readings in a high RF environment.

Word of warning: Never pass current through a current transformer that doesn't have its meter attached, or else its output terminals shorted (Yes, I know it's counterintuitive!). A current transformer "wants" to put out a certain number of amps, and will generate near infinite output volts in order to accomplish that end if it is not properly terminated. This can destroy the CT or make a severe shock hazard.

You will find many LEM current transducers on eBay. These versatile devices use Hall effect detectors, and can measure both AC and DC current in isolation, without contact. Only downside is that they require +/- 15 volts DC power inputs, and give an output voltage that is proportional to the current passing through them. They are better suited to driving an oscilloscope than a panel meter, but they do come in handy for some applications.

HTH,

Dave

I tried to measure the current going through the primary of an
open-secondary MOT, to see how if I could use it to limit current in another
MOT in series. It must have been a lot - it blew my 10A fuse. How can I
measure this?

Many thanks

Thomas