[TCML] Newbe's First Coil

Hello to the members of this list. For no particular reason I built a Tesla Coil this winter. Just got it running, more or less. So (hopefully) here are a couple of photo's of what I put together.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5567/1000420.jpg
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5931/1000424e.jpg
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5043/1000425.jpg
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5164/1000427.jpg

The transformer is a 10kv 23mA oil burner trans. Primary is about 12 turns # 14 sold house wire 10" diameter with a couple extra taps available. Secondary is 1300 turns #27 on 3.5 inch pvc. Spark gap is 2 nails spaced about 5/16" Capacitor is two 6000pF 30kv hokey puck ceramics, and one shows a slight temperature rise with use. Top load is a cookie tin and bent pizza pan. The ground is the house wiring tied in to an extensive ham radio/ lightening ground system.

It really doesn't work that great. I removed a coupe turns and moved the tap around to get the best coupling I could. I get a ring of 2 inch sparks of the pizza plate. I put a screwdriver on top and get 3-4 inch sparks off that. I haven't tried bringing a grounded probe to the top load yet. Anyway, I read that the ceramic capacitors are not really durable and one of mine shows some heating after a minuet or so of on time to. I think I need to work on that next. I expected a little more out of it even with the 250 watt power transformer.

I need to figure out how to ground the thing. I need a better capacitor. I have lots of big transformers and DC power supplies to play with once I get the coil working a bit better.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Charlie