RE: [TCML] Newbe's First Coil

Hi Charlie,

I agree with all that Matt suggested.

Additionally, I suspect that your caps may be a problem.  Ceramic caps have a very high temperature coefficient, meaning that their capacitance will vary as a function of temperature.  So the primary tuning will rapidly drift as it runs, and won't be in tune with the secondary.  I'm not sure that blowing air on the caps will help; if the exterior is getting warm, the interior will be MUCH warmer.  Funny that only one gets warm though!

I don't see a problem now but this is something that may need to be said.  It may appear that performance increases as you increase the gap spacing.  You must resist the temptation to do this, as having it too wide will allow voltages in excess of what the OBIT can endure to develop.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA