From: "Jon Danniken" <danniken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2010 1:50 PM
To: "Tesla Coil Mailing List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] SRSG "sputter"

Joe Mastroianni wrote:

What I'm noticing is that at below  1/2 voltage on the variac, the
gap is happily firing, and things are calm and sparky.  When I go to
about 2/3 power, I start getting a sharp crackling from the area of
the gap itself.  Sometimes the safety gap on the SRSG fires, and
sometimes it doesn't - but if I go even higher on the voltage, my
Terry Filter safety gap goes off so I shut down.  Sometimes, the none
of the gaps fire and I get a quick arc in the vicinity of the outer
turns of the primary.

I had a similar problem until I physically changed where the electrode disk was on the motor shaft. The Freau controller works great, but it does have a limited range of adjustment, and the electrode presentation has to be within the window provided by the controller.

It took a few attempts, but drawing some marking on the disc with a sharpie helped me to adjust it just enough to get it within that window.

Jon
Regards
Phil Tuck

www.hvtesla.com