Re: [TCML] New coil modeled after Green Monster

I have built a Tesla coil that is in some ways similar to the Green Monster. The secondary is wound on a 12.5" diameter pvc sewer pipe, and it is wound with 19 gage wire. It is a DC resonant charging type Tesla coil with a break rate of 425 bps and it has worked very well. I have never built a SRSG Tesla coil but the one thing I don't like about them is that you are limited to 120 bps. That's less than a third of the break rate of my coil. That means that if you are going to run the same power level as my coil with 425 bps you need to put in over three times as much energy per break. That would be hard to do without having problems.

Roger
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Fuller" <bfuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 1:36 PM
Subject: [TCML] New coil modeled after Green Monster

I've made 3 secondaries out of new materials and they all burned... I also thought it was coupling and perhaps I could not get the spacing far enough.

Coil dia 10.75"
Primary ID 14.5"
10 degree conical primary
Javatc calculated coupling: .15

I'd be curious to know coupling on the green monster and how that compares.

I actually measured the coupling but don't have that data handy. It was near the Javatc number I believe.

I'm using a propeller SRSG at 1800 RPM.

I would say its hard to "copy" a coil due to material and construction differences but it is nice to start with some "knowns". I am after maximum spark length with this new coil:)

Bill