Re: [TCML] IGBT paralleling

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 01:04:58 +0200, Scott Bogard <sdbogard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
snip

 Also I'm hearing about IGBT modules, what are they, what do they
do, can they be used for coiling purposes... Thanks for your patience guys, interesting good info even if my original question is still opaque to me.

Scott Bogard.

Holy cow, I just snipped 8 replies deep......

Scott,

I cannot say about parallelling, and then....

IGBT modules are what is also referred to as Bricks.
They are the large.... arh - well - erh - you know - Bricks or modules we use in the large coils, like Steve's and my Thumper.

It is interesting that these Modules internally consist of parallelled IGBT and Freewheling diode dies.

These dies are bussed in a fasion that allow them to operate within their specksheet ratings. I seem to recall one very large full bridge which didn't last long, due to the inductive limitation of the internal bussing, which lead to catastriphic failure of the dies in just one end of the module.

What this tells me is, that with proper attention to layout, you can parallell IGBT's, but that doing so is a pain, and that most of us would just go get a brick and be done with it.

Cheers, Finn Hammer