Re: [TCML] NST Power Input - Ideal Sec. Coil Specs

Fritz,

In my TT-42 coil shown at my website, I used a 12/30 robust NST and got
42" sparks using a 4" x 19" secondary wound with 28awg wire, and a rotary
synchronous spark gap.  Using a regular (non-robust) 12/30 NST, I got
about 38" sparks. The capacitor is 0.015uF.  The primary is wound with
solid 10awg close-wound pvc insulated wire.  I use a 4" x 13" spun
aluminum toroid mounted above a 1.75" x 6" spun aluminum toroid.

  http://futuret.110mb.com

If you use a "voltage step-up" type variac which gives 140 volt output,
then an NST can easily draw more than its rated wattage.  For example
a regular 12/30 NST might draw 620 watts rather than the 360 watt rating.

Now if you use my formula:

  spark length (inches) = 1.7*sqrt input watts

this can give a clue of what spark lengths you can expect.
For example in the case above; sqrt of 620 = 24.90.  And 24.90
x 1.7 = 42.33".  Actual sparks were 38" because small coils have
a hard time achieving sparks quite as long as "predicted" by this
formula, but it's a good guide.  The formula is more accurate for
larger coils.

You can use the same formula and wattage ratios, etc., to calculate
things for the larger NSTs.

I came up with a formula for designing the entire coil; secondary
size, toroid size, capacitor value, etc, based on the input power
and type of NST.  This information is in the archives somewhere.
It might be at Tesla Universe in the TCBA archives too... I forget.

I'm not saying my design is ideal, but it works well.  No one yet
knows the idea parameters for a coil

Cheers,
John

Dear All,

Can experienced coilers please give a overview of NST power input versus

ideal sec. coil specifications?