From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of G Hunter
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2010 3:13 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] RSG Disk Loading?

RSG Gurus,

What is the source of "disk loading"?  How can an RSG rotor, which appears
to be no more than a flywheel, load down a motor?  Mass alone isn't a load
once the inertia of the disk is overcome and the motor spins up to its rated
RPM.  All that leaves is air drag.  Do the flying electrodes account for
significant air drag?  Does the surface of the rotor itself move enough air
to load the motor?  My education in classical physics ended with high
school.  I'm mostly self-taught in electric motors.  What am I missing?

Cheers,

Greg
http://myweb.cableone.net/grcarhunter

13:33:00