Re: [TCML] Grounding a Tesla Coil (Yes, Again)

Gary Lau wrote:
Hi Jim,

On the issue of RF grounds in general, determining the relative
quality of one has always been nebulous.  I'm pretty sure that the
consensus is that the ground quality has a minimal effect at best on
streamer length, so I don't think streamer length is a useful metric.
You wrote:
Give it a shot and see if it works.

Short of just seeing if any appliance damage results, are you aware of
any means to quantify how well a given setup works, even relative to
an alternate setup?  I once tried monitoring the AC mains through a
high-pass filter for transient spikes (assuming that a better ground
results in lower amplitude transients), but uncertainty of how to
ground the scope probe (and scope!) made me give up.

You raise a very good point.

Looking for transients might work, except that where would you probe?
And, even then, if you have a shunt type transient suppressor (like the
MOVs found in all those plug strips) it might clip them (dying a little
each time, until it catastrophically fails blowing the fuse in the plug
strip if you're lucky)

To a certain extent the empirical: "I did this and it didn't kill the
expensive electronics of my spouse/significant other/parent/children" is
what we've all done in the past.

OK, but recognizing that we need some quantitative answers.  What would
be a good experiment?

There are two aspects to the transients from TCs.. the radiated field
(mostly magnetic near field from the sparks discharging the topload) and
conducted (via the power cord, presumably).  I'm going to assume that
you can kill any differential mode power cord signals with a good line
filter.

So, we're looking at common mode signals propagated down the power cord
(treating the entire cord as a unit) and the radiated fields from the
discharge.

Could we set up a "victim loop" at some distance to represent a receiver
of the radiated fields?

And, for the common mode current through the power cord: it couples to
the "greenwire ground" in your house and sets up a circuit.. from TC
through cord to house wiring to capacitive coupling to topload.  How
about measuring the RF current in the cord as a whole, using a suitable
transformer.