From: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 8:31 PM
To: "Tesla Coil Mailing List" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Safety Issuie

Finn,

If your pot was made of copper or aluminum, it would effectively serve only
to reduce the primary inductance, and the Q could remain quite high, in
which case DC actually makes a good point.  BUT using a steel pot will
result in a lot of losses, which is what you want. The water is simply for
thermal capacity so the test can last some time.

If you are too much of a klutz to position a water pan on your TC without
spilling so much that you risk electrical hazard, then dont do it!  But i
think for the most of us, its not terribly hazardous, unless its really
salty water its not all that conductive, and furthermore, you shouldnt be
that close to your coil anyway when its energized at HV.

DC,

I may be misunderstanding your point, but it reads to me as if you are
claiming, that coupling the primary into a short, creates a high Q in the
primary?

European coilers, like Steve Conner and myself, have been boiling water off shallow pans, coupled to both OLTC and DRSSTC primary's, with no ill effect
to cap or silicon.

So, everybody: Go ahead, boil your soup on your TC, it is a lot of fun! But
first of all, a nice and safe way to get rid if a lot of power, during
initial tests of a system.

Cheers, Finn Hammer