Re: [TCML] thyratrons

eric goodchild wrote:
Umm.. DRSSTCs are more effective than SGTC at making longer sparks. Also
DRSSTCs in general out perform SGTCs.

"out perform" in what sense.. I'll go for meters of spark vs power input for the DRSSTC, particularly in the under 10kW power input category. But when it comes to really big coils, SG is more practical (although Greg Leyh is working the solid state end on big coils). I haven't seen any SSTCs of any kind making 50 foot sparks, for instance.

As for modulating the break rate on a SGTC you would need a lot of high
power silicon, and at that point you may as well just build a DRSSTC.

Not really.. for amplitude modulation (which for music, is on a few Hz sort of bandwidth), you could modulate the primary of the power supply using conventional SCRs.

For frequency, you can use a triggered spark gap, or a rotary with a variable speed drive. If they can do it with a Hammond Organ, you can do it with a RSG.

It all comes down to what "modulation" means...