Re: [TCML] Electric Fence, NST's, and squirrels

New dwp:     dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx

----- "Gary Lau" <glau1024@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I may test the boundaries of being on-topic (this does pertain to
> NST's)...
>
> I have squirrel problems.  Normally they're just cute lawn-rats,
> attracted to the abundant supply of acorns raining down from
> our oak trees.  But with autumn here, I cannot put a pumpkin on
> our porch, uncarved, without the varmints chewing through it
> and spilling its guts all over the porch, in search of seeds.
>  How do they know...?
    Food is food.  8)>> Squirrels have been eating wild
    pumpkins, etc for 'a long time'.

> Zapping the critters to teach 'em a lesson comes to mind, having
> so many NST's kicking about.  But I clearly don't want to set up
> anything lethal or dangerous to humans on my porch.  I know that
> electric fences for animal control use brief pulsing so as to not
> be lethal.  Voltage/current unknown.
   When much younger, had brief, not exhaustive experience.
   Mech 'points/coil' very analagous to classic auto ignition,
   but lower power.  few hundred volts i'd guess.  Modern
   presumably 'solid state', equivalent.  I'd dial down an
   NST with a variac.  That Said, i'm guessing squirrels are
   small enuf and nimble enuf and smart enuf to evade anything
   simple/practical:  They play on power poles.  (Yeah: they
   can/do misjudge and flee, flaming, thru substations, taking
   down power.  Sometimes.

   I'd think Tesla Coils, per se, too likely to corona away
   any useful effect.   Hmmmmmmmm.  Float the pumpkin,
   electrically on an NST or Tesla Coil?

   best
    dwp