Re: [TCML] "Means for increasing the intensity of electrical oscillations" The Tesla Superconductor of 1901

> While browsing through some of Tesla patents, I ran across this one,
> patent number 685,012, in which he describes using artificially
> cooled coils

Wellllllll.  There is a distinction, technically, between
 the _general_ (not universal...) decrease in resistance with
 decreasing temperature and the separate effect called
 superconductivity.  Granted, both occur as the temperature
 drops: most materials retain some resistance, even at
 absolute zero.  Some, at varying temps, go to _actual_ _zero_
 conductivity (superconductivity).  Some, as noted, increase
 in resistance.  I see no indication that Tesla ever saw
 _superconductivity_, as such.  Looking at his patents, he
 patented any slight improvement, some so slight as to not
 be practical.

 Any use of refrigerated coils has complications of the energy
 required to keep them cold.  If actual superconductors are
 used, additionally, there is the 'critical current' for
 each alloy:  above this current, magnetic effects stop the
 superconductivity.

 Any form of cooling results in needing added energy (inefficiency)
 to maintain the cool, working with, eg, liquid N, or other
 cryogens has safety issues.

best
dwp