Re: [TCML] "Means for increasing the intensity of electricaloscillations" The Tesla Superconductor of 1901

Excellent work on the vortex gap. Mine is pretty similar, but I don't think it has a vortex. I couldn't find a blower better than a vacuum cleaner motor either.

Your waveform has saved me an experiment (mixed feelings). The first part of the WF shows an exponential decrease, which we would expect if the loss was caused by resistance, but it then becomes linear, which means that the gap voltage drops are determining the loss. The quasi-exponential part is then probably caused by a combination of resistance plus gap voltage drop.

I simulated this in MicroCap using 1N4007 diodes back-to-back to represent the gap and charging the cap to a voltage which gave a waveform very similar to yours, which turned out to be 40 volts. (C=50nF and L=70uH, with a charging voltage of 10k.) This would tend to indicate that the gap voltage drop (cathode plus anode) is of the order of 175 volts, and is pretty constant with current. If you send me your voltage, L and C I'll run it for your coil and get a better result.

This is interesting stuff.

---Carl

My vortex gap is documented here:
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/vortexgap.htm

And the simpler sucker gap is here:
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/onegap.htm

Sorry about the outdated links in the archives...

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA