Re: [TCML] Why don't big Tesla coils use helical primaries?

On 8/31/11 10:24 AM, mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I've wondered why helical primaries aren't common in medium to large
coils too.

They are used.. I think that adjusting the tap point on a pancake is easier, though. (for mechanical reasons, not the procedural difficulty)

Can't over-coupling be moderated by enlarging the diameter of the
primary, or by using a more insulating coil form?

Yes.. you can make the primary larger in diameter, or lift the secondary.

Insulation doesn't change the coupling.