Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

On 2/7/11 3:34 AM, David Steinberg wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm considering the glass enclosure with argon gas.  As I've never worked
with glass enclosures or argon before, I have a couple of questions:

1.	What length of arc should I expect?
Depends on the power available. And very hard to predict, so unless someone has done the exact thing you're thinking of, you're sort of in a guesswork territory. I doubt you'd get as much as twice what you get running it in air.

2.	Does anyone have a basic design for this?
3.	Do I need to "de-gas" the glass before filling with argon?
Depends.. if you pump it down to a vacuum first and then backfill, the gas will be more pure. You could also do multiple gas changes and eventually the air will be a small fraction.

4.	Where do I get argon?
Welding supply