Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

On 2/7/11 7:07 AM, Bert Hickman wrote:
David Steinberg wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I'm considering the glass enclosure with argon gas. As I've never worked
with glass enclosures or argon before, I have a couple of questions:

1. What length of arc should I expect?

The breakdown and reignition voltage of argon is considerably lower than
air, and an argon arc will typically be ~5X the length of an arc in air
under identical conditions.

that much longer?

I never seem to get that... twice is the best I've been able to do. Maybe it's convection/electrode shape/heating dependent? I haven't tried a jacob's ladder in argon, just a drawn arc between two hemispheres or conical points.