Re: [TCML] Is this 2,3kW Triode suitable for a VTTC?

That depends also by the cap used in the doubler.

My oppinion is that the doubler schema allows the resonant rise of the voltage for some well chosen cap values (the doubler schema allows AC passing through the cap, 1/2 cycle through the HV diode and cap, the other 1/2 AC cycle, through MOT-cap-load, giving DC pulsed current). Well, maibe resonant rise is not the right word, I would better say the maximum charging current for the doubler cap.

And this can be proven by some calculations and the best cap values observed from my practice (2 microF in a doubler with a single MOT or 1 microF cap in a doubler fed with 2 MOTs in serie).

For f (frequency) = 50 Hz (our AC system) and a MOT inductance L = 5.5 Henry (I found this value on the net), starting from equation : 2*pi*L = 1/(2*pi*C) we found the values:

For 1 MOT (5.5 H) the best C is 1.844 microF (around 2 microF)
For 2 MOTs in serie (11 H), the best C = 0.922 microF (around 1 microF)

One more thing I believe is that the filter cap is not just for filtering but acts also as a charge reserve for the VTTC (something like the bus cap in a drsstc). Thats why I think that the filter cap has to be at least 10 times bigger than the primary cap (Dr. Spark recomandation). I am using more than 30 times bigger in my GU5b VTTC with good results ( http://www.youtube.com/user/teslina#p/u/3/H_hNd1exC60 ). Bigger is better I suppose.

vasil